Here, we have an antique toy.
This old glass candy container is in the shape of a phone. The candlestick base has a screw top; the top of the threads –the opening- is a bit rough to the touch; the mouthpiece is made of a pewter type of metal and screws onto the top; there is a wire hook that extends out of this screw on pewter top; this wire hook holds the wood receiver; and there is a string that is attached by an eye hook on the top of the wood receiver.
Material: Blown Glass, Metal, and Wood
Colors: Clear Glass, Metal Gray for the Screw on Top and String (I have no idea if the string started out gray, but it is gray now), Black paint to the inside of the mouthpiece and painted receiver
Approximate Creation Date: 1907 - 1930
Designer: West Brothers Company of Grapeville, PA
Patent Date: 04/30/1907
Patent Number: 852242
Serial Number: 2862
Approximate Dimensions in Inches: 1 3/4 wide at base x 4 3/8 height. Receiver is 1 1/2 long
Markings on Base: These are very light and hard to read – “WEST SPEC CO. / GRAPEVILLE PA. / SERIAL NO 2862”. The inner circle, which is even more difficult to read says “30 1907”. I am sure that “APR” or “APRIL” is in front of the wording, but I did not and could not read it. It was just two faint. [[Please note that if you are trying to match the embossment with the A&E 235 reference, you will not find SPEC mentioned at all. You will find SPEC mentioned in the DPP reference at 250a and 250g, but the wording is a bit different on this particular phone.]]
Condition: Used Antique Condition
- The string has discolored over the years.
- The metal arm that is used to holds the wooden receiver is not rusted and only has slight oxidation on it.
- The wooden receiver is in very good condition and showns no wear. The eye hook is not rusted as it appears to be copper.
- The inside of the pewter mouthpiece shows no oxidation.
- The glass is free of fractures, chips, or repairs.
- The candy appears to be original. Yuck!
- The pewter screw on top has some issues. It is pretty beat up around the mouthpiece, has a hole in it, and there is a small chip. All of these problems have been shown and pointed out in the pictures. Please note that these issues do not affect how it screws on and off the telephone; the pewter piece screws on and off very easily.
Re1: Eikelberner George and Agadjaian Serge (The Compleat Amercian Glass Candy Container Handbook, 1986)
Re2: Dezsco, Douglas; Poirier, J Leon; & Poirier, Rose (Collector’s Guide to Candy Containers…, 1998)
I ship using USPS or UPS - whichever is least expensive and quicker.
• You are currently AtMemoryLane.shop. You will receive a 4.4% refund on your purchased item. This 4.4% will be refunded after purchase. The 4.4% applies to all items – including those that are on sale.
At Memory Lane UFmb ea735 & dpp250 AtMemoryLane
Just contact me within: 3 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
AtMemoryLane is located in the USA. I sell to the 50 US states, as well as, the US Territories and United States DPOs, APOs, and FPOs.
Information retained by AtMemoryLane includes the information that is part of an electronic sale. This sale could be in the Etsy marketplace at my shop, called AtMemoryLane, or it could be in my Etsy pattern shop, also called AtMemoryLane. The information that is included is information that has been provided by the buyer – which is their name and address. Additionally, any messages sent to the seller via the Etsy conversation system will also be retained on the Etsy site. None of this information is used for any type of marketing, spamming, or solicitation on my part. (And I will not be sending you a Christmas card either.) The information is and was used exclusively for your transaction. The financial information (credit card info) is not provided to the sellers on Etsy so there is nothing to worry about there. Contact information (your name and address) is used exclusively to contact you regarding the items you purchased (if need be), to fulfill your order, and if necessary for legal reasons (for instance for tax purposes). We, Etsy sellers, do not have access to your billing address if it is different from your mailing address. As noted above, Etsy is the only one that even has access to that information; sellers on Etsy do not.
I may use any photos that you might share with me for promotional or selling purposes.
Thank you for reading this.
All orders received by 8:00 PM Eastern Time are processed (mailed) the next day. I usually drop off packages at the post office in the morning six days a week; I normally drop off packages to the UPS drop off point in the afternoon five days a week.
- Etsy does not have a system where we can list UPS as an alternative. I ship via USPS or UPS, whichever is least expensive and quickest. I refund shipping overages paid by you.
If the shipping calculation is over by more than 50 cents, I will reimburse you. Yup, I will reimburse you 50 cents.
If the shipping calculator is under by any amount, you will not know about it; that is, I will not request that you make any further payment because of an error of mine, the calculator, or the system.
My normal hours seven days a week are 1:00 - 9:00 PM. I answer questions within two hours during this time.
On my off hours, I will normally return your question as soon as I open up for the day.
I do not operate with any smart devices - only dumb ones, as they simply do not work in dead zones, so I periodically throughout my day check the old desktop.
1. You, the buyer, shall ensure the items are received by me in the SAME condition in which you received it. You are not required to use the original packaging and box. Feel free to use your own if you so desire
2. In addition, please provide me, via a convo, the tracking number within one eight calendar days of receiving the item.
Returns can be made for any reason whatsoever. You will receive the original cost of the item and the original shipping. I do not charge a bogus restocking fee. Be aware that the cost to return the item (shipping) will not be reimbursed to you.
As you may or may not be aware, shipping insurance benefits the seller. I normally pay for the insurance, if any. The only time, you (the buyer) would pay for the insurance is if YOU request it.
I do not normally buy additional insurance as I tend to pack for a nuclear blast...or, at least, for war.
NO, I am sorry. I do not.
I do, however, encourage you to shop around. In many of my listings, I leave a reference at the bottom of the description to assist you in your research. This way, you will be able to compare apples with apples.
--- I usually have a larger selection of items in my stand alone shop - AtMemoryLane.shop.
---In addition, all purchases made AtMemoryLane.shop, will receive a 4.4% refund on your purchased item.
--- You also receive this 4.4% refund on any sale items in the AtMemoryLane.shop.
---Sometimes, I have items on sale in the stand alone shop (AtMemoryLane.shop) that I do not have in the etsy marketplace shop.
--- You can get to AtMemoryLane.shop via any browser.
No. There is no need for me to operate my shop like that. My items are already priced fairly.
No. Sorry, but I do not inflate my prices to begin with so there is no need to discount them.